30-Minute Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza w/ Blue Cheese Dressing, Heirloom Tomato, and Buffalo Jackfruit "Chicken"
Difficulty: 2/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 2/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 30 minutes
The Challenge: Buffalo Chicken Pizza
It is recipe #2 for my new 30-Minute March Madness Meal Challenge. All vegan meals. All 30 minutes or less. All March (and a little bit of Februray).
Really pumped for #2. Pizza is delicious, and the best part is you can make a healthy, happy pizza that is totally plant-based in just 25-30 minutes. I don't use much in way of processed foods when I can. I try to cook nearly everything from scratch - fresh first, frozen second, canned third.
So, this next one is an homage to making a from scratch Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza in just 30 minutes. I wanted to take the idea of buffalo chicken wings and bring them into pizza format ... and vegan! (dude, you crazy and I love it).
What comes with chicken wings? Chicken. Buffalo Sauce. Carrots. Blue Cheese. Sometimes celery.
How would that taste as a pizza? AMAZING. And that's what we did. Smothered and cooked jackfruit in a buffalo sauce with some spices to kick it up. Then we baked it with carrot shreds + poblano pepper. Finally, we topped it with what takes this pizza from hot damn to HOT HOT HOT DAMNNNN - blue cheese dressing. My first crack at this, and I have to say - WINNING. What makes it blue cheesy? Miso. This mixed with some lemon juice, vegan mayo, and key spices makes a really tasty blue cheese base. You can even add crumbled extra firm tofu if you want the crumbles in it.
Okay...I'm ready to chow down. Let's get into it!
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 14 oz can jackfruit, drained + pat dry
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce + 2 tbl buffalo sauce (there are a ton of vegan versions at any grocer)
- Spices: couple pinches of pepper + sea salt
- few dashes of worcestshire sauce
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 6 tbl vegan mayo
- 1/4 lemon juiced
- Spices: couple pinches of pepper + sea salt, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tbl miso paste
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced + deseeded
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled then continue to use peeler to create long thin strips
- 1 small poblano pepper, cut into strips
- medium whole wheat pizza crust (Engine 2, Whole Foods, homemade, Del Cecco are a couple options)
Equipment You'll Need:
Mixing Bowls . Sharp Chopping Knife . Measuring Cups + Spoons . Cutting Board . Pizza Pan or Stone . Whisk . Plastic Ziploc Bag or Piping Bag . Peeler
Before You Cook:
- Wash + chop fresh ingredients
- Preheat oven to 380F