35-Minute Best Damn Vegan Breakfast Potato Hash w/ Garlic Lime Aioli (castiron meals)
Difficulty: 2/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 35 minutes
The Challenge: Breakfast Potato Hash
So, 30-Minute March Madness has been going great with Vegan Caesar Salad, Ultimate Bagel Bacon Breakfast Sandwich, and Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza so far. I'm sticking with the brunch theme of "breakfast warrior" with this incredible breakfast potato hash. This one is just over 30 minutes...it can be done in 30 if you hustle but its more like 35.
Breakfast potatoes are one of my absolute favorite foods. I've been working on perfecting them for quite some time, and the key to making an amazing breakfast potato is two fold:
1. The Right Potato - yukon gold, russet, and sweet potato are preferred. New potatoes are fine but get too soft and have trouble crisping
2. Parboiling - don't throw your potatoes all in a pan uncooked and wait for magic...it won't work. Parboiling is a midpoint between raw and cooked and is best done in a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes the turned off and letting the potatoes sit for another 8-10 minutes. Or, my preferred method, is yee old microwave! That's right we're going Microwave Gourmet Chic in this recipe. Throw the potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl, add 1/4 cup water, microwave for a few minutes, stir, repeat.
Why parboiling is so crucial is that when you add to a hot pan...all we are trying to do is get that crispy buttery sear on the potato and add spices. It is much shorter process and leaves the potato at perfect consistency.
To this, we add sauteed veggies, marinated mushrooms, some vegan melty cheese, and a garlic lime aioli for some tangy sweetness to counteract the fatty + salty potatoes. That depth of flavor makes these potatoes EPIC!!!
Finally, the vehicle for this is important - castiron. The castiron pan is by far the best way to cook breakfast potatoes as it gets very hot, retains heat and will give you amazing sears.
Let's get into it.
- 3 medium organic yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbl vegan butter
- Spices: 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp Old Bay, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp salt, pinch of pepper
- 1 tbl vegan butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium poblano pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red pepper, diced (whole one if you love red pepper)
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered + diced
- Spices: 1/4 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp oregano, pinch of salt + pepper
Marinated Portabella Mushrooms
- 1/2 tbl olive oil
- 6 oz baby bella mushrooms, diced across height
- 1/2 tbl liquid aminos
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay
Garlic Lime Aioli
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- small chopped handful cilantro
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese (Daiya brand is what I used)
Equipment You'll Need:
Mixing Bowls . Sharp Chopping Knife . Measuring Cups + Spoons . Cutting Board . Large Microwaveable Bowl . Medium Frying Pan . Castiron Pan . Whisk . Ziploc Bag
Before You Cook:
- Wash + chop fresh ingredients
- Wrap tofu in towel and place heavy pan/pot on top.
ignore this...its some metatag information for Pinterest...