The Best Damn Guacamole Ever w/ Charred Poblano, Mango, and More (Guac Nirvana)
Difficulty: 2/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 cups
The Challenge: Guacamole
Guacamole. Yes! This is an art form. What I am about to unveil to you is the ultimate recipe for guacamole. Are you ready?!
I told this story in my first post, but I will tell it here again. How did I learn how to make guacamole. In my college years, I worked at a Mexican chain, On the Border! It was quite an experience. My job there was to do GUAC LIVE. Essentially, I went table-to-table preparing guacamole, helping people choose the guacamole they want, and because I'm such an experimenter - I tried lots and lots of variations.
Here is what I learned. Blended guacamole might as well be in the trash. Limes are the key. Smoked poblanos for the win!
Here are my five rules to making amazing guacamole:
1. Use a fork and knife to mix it.
2. Use plenty of lime and plenty of sea salt
3. Use various textures - mango, radishes, carrots, etc. add unique textures
4. A sweet flavor like mango or tomatillo add amazing flavor diversity
5. Add avocados last, cut last, and treat last
Other (crudite + more for serving)
- tortilla chips
- cucumber slices
- banana chips
- plantain chips
- carrot sticks
- pepper slices
- 2 avocados, slightly soft to the touch but some firmness still. Not super firm and not really soft.
- 1 medium poblano
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup orange pepper, diced small
- 1/4 cup radish, diced small
- 1 medium poblano
- small handful of cilantro, chopped roughly
- 3 tbl carrots, diced small
- 1 small shallot, diced small
- 1/2 small mango, diced small
- 1 corn on cob, kernels cut off
- Pink Sea Salt, to taste
Equipment You'll Need:
Medium Fork . Medium Spoon . Cutting Board . Medium Chopping Knife . Medium Mixing Bowl . Serving Dishes . Mixing Spoons
Before You Cook:
- Wash and chop/prepare all vegetables
- Squeeze lime juice and crush sea salt into lime juice for a few seconds in medium sized bowl