Vegan Mac + Cheese Wontons w/ Dairy-Free Plantbased Macaroni + Cheese
Difficulty: 3/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 50 minutes
The Challenge: Mac + Cheese
This isn't the first vegan mac + cheese recipe to ever hit the block and won't be the last. BUT! It is the first time you've made into a bite-size appetizer called MAC AND CHEESE WONTONS. Booyah!
I try to up the vegan game as much as I can and take things to the next level. So for mac + cheese, I had many people request I make a batch. In reality, there are a lot of very good mac + cheese recipes on the intrawebs already. What I wasn't seeing was anyone trying to make mac/cheese into bite-size appetizers.
I had bought wonton wrappers sometime ago thinking I'd on a whim make wontons LOL. And then I was looking at how to make mac + cheese into bites ... and it hit me that if they are folded up in a delicious wonton wrapper and then baked that it would cross off several challenges. Mac and cheese. Baked mac and cheese. Bites.
This is a creamy yummy mac + cheese recipe that is then baked into a sea-salt topped wonton wrapper that crunches in your mouth with ooey gooey mac + cheese on the inside.
HELL YA, let's get into it.
Mac + Cheese Wontons
- 3.5 cups dry macaroni
- 1 tbl butter
- 1 cup gold new potato, diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- medium shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup jicama (optional), diced
- 1/4 cup raw brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup flax milk (or other unsweetened dairy-free milk)
- 3 tbl nutritional yeast
- 1 tbl diced jalapeno pickled + 2 tbl pickled jalapeno brine (from canned jalapenos)
- 1 tbl lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Spices: 1.5 tsp salt. 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, pinch of black pepper, pinch of ancho chili powder. 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbl butter + 1 tbl nonfat milk
- 25 wonton wrappers
Equipment You'll Need:
Mixing Bowls . Sharp Chopping Knife . Measuring Cups + Spoons . Cutting Board .
Before You Cook:
- Bring a large soup pot of water + medium saucepan with 6 cups of water to a boil on high heat.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Wash + chop fresh ingredients