Vegan Gyro Spring Rolls w/ Dairyfree Tzatziki Sauce
Difficulty: 4/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 90 minutes
Servings: 8-10 spring rolls
The Challenge: Gyro Spring Rolls
Gyros + spring rolls....uh what? Haha. And vegan? Dude, you whack.
A friend of mine knew that I wanted to try my hand at gyros as I have had them at several vegan restaurants over the years; however, I had never made them homemade. His idea to me was turn them into something a little more unique like egg rolls or spring rolls with a tzatziki dipping sauce. When he mentioned that I was like...OH HELL YA. Handheld gyros were perfect.
Plus, I am doing all Super Bowl themed recipes this week before the big game, so it seemed like the perfect time! For the gyro meat, I decided to do seitan. I was kicking around mushrooms (and as a side note I think they'd be great), but I've been playing with seitan more recently...and thought it was a better fit for the spring roll.
To "spring roll" this dish, we used some more authentic ingredients - cabbage, onions, and carrots. We blended that with ground seitan gyro meat, wrapped it in a spring roll skin and baked it.
I don't have a fryer, and I think its a cop out way to cook food (but very tasty). Baking makes this way healthier and allows you to carefully control how crispy these rolls are.
Let's get into it.
- 1⁄4 white onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Spices: 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1⁄2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 tbl tahini
- 1.5 tbl coconut aminos
- 1.5 tbl tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup green cabbage, diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, fine diced
- Spices: pinch of salt, basil, oregano, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary, cinnamon
- 1/3 English cucumber
- 3/4 cup plain dairy-free yogurt
- 1 tbl dried dill (2 tbl fresh)
- pinch of pepper + salt
- 1 tbl lemon juice
- 8-10 spring roll wrappers
- chia egg, for sticking together wrappers (1 tbl chia meal + 1/4 cup water)
- olive oil, for baking
Equipment You'll Need:
Mixing Bowls . Aluminim Foil . Medium Frying Pan . Large Frying Pan . Whisk . Pastry Brush . Food Processor or High Speed Blender . Spatula . Grater . Strainer
Before You Cook:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Wash + chop fresh ingredients