"Chik-Fil-A" Vegan Chicken Biscuit Sandwich w/ Plant-Based Seitan Chicken
Difficulty: 4/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 2/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 90 minutes
The Challenge: Chicken Biscuit Sandwich
One of the dishes I wanted to do since I started this blog was this one.
I waited a little bit because I knew I'd get better, pictures would improve, and I'd continue to challenge myself to make each post better than the next.
This one really is the best yet. My god it was good. The biscuits are flaky, buttery, and moist. The seitan chicken is spicy, fried, tangy, and melts in your mouth. I was in heaven making this and even more enjoyed eating it.
What's the key to this dish? Pickle juice. Yep! I read a lot about the biscuit sandwich from the god-fearing chain and one of the keys is marinating the chicken with pickle juice. Well, we don't marinate seitan, but you do boil it. I thought what better way to get that flavor in there than to do it with pickle juice in the vegetable broth. WORKED LIKED A CHARM.
Pan fry it and stick it between two yummy biscuits. Heaven. Mic drop. Jaw drop.
Let's get into it.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 tbl nutritional yeast
- Spices: 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp sage, 1/4 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbl Valentina hot sauce (any hot sauce will do, Franks is good substitute)
- 1/4 cup Cholula hot sauce (again can sub)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbl tahini
- 6 cups veg broth + 1 cup pickle juice for boiling
- 1 cup organic unbleached flour
- 1 tbl powdered sugar
- Spices: 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbl chia meal
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 1 tbl lemon juice
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbl vegan butter, cold
- 1 tbl melted vegan butter
- pickle chips
- hot sauce (optional)
Equipment You'll Need:
Mixing Bowls . Sharp Chopping Knife . Measuring Cups + Spoons . Cutting Board . Large Pot . Parchment Paper . Baking Sheet
Before You Cook:
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Wash + chop fresh ingredients
- Put vegetable broth + pickle juice on high (we'll need it to boil to cook the chicken)