Amazing Vegan Soft Pretzel Bites w/ Dairyfree Beer Cheese Dip
Difficulty: 3/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 90 minutes
Servings: ~80 bites
The Challenge: Soft Pretzels with Beer Cheese (um yes)
Its TAILGATE SEASON! Its Labor Day season. Its fall parties and its time for ... Soft Pretzel Bites w/ Beer Cheese Dip. Well, there's really any time for that!
And hey, I'm pretty stoked, because this post was sponsored by my pals at Sprouts Farmers Market (ah shoot I sold out). But in all seriousness, folks, I MADE IT!. Its great to actually make some dough (I got bills to pay yo) doing this and SPROUTS FRIKIN ROCKS. I already shopped there before they approached me all "you're awesome - let's work together." I love shopping at Sprouts because the dudes/dudettes get it. You want to buy organic, want to be healthy, but you don't want to pay too much! These folks get it, and they deliver with the goods. I'll be doing a second post with them for Labor Day later this week as well. For this recipe, I'm featuring their unbleached flour because bleached flour just sounds disgusting, and I got a crap load of it for $3. Win!
Alright, back to our regularly scheduled blog post, VEGAN SOFT PRETZEL BITES....with...VEGAN BEER CHEESE DIP.
You have to be saying ... what?! Yep. Okay, I hate vegan cheeses. They are cheezy. They taste weird. They are fake. So, I have been working on cheese dips since I started this whole bizness. As you can see from the photos, this cheese kicks ass. It actually pours. It tastes cheesy, and its plant-based. No chemicals. We mix the cheese dip with reduced brown lager for that amazing beer cheese flavor.
The bites themselves are a bit of science. Soft pretzels are one of those things I can't really play with too much because they are baking and much more scientific. I turned to my bud Alton Brown for this, but I of course put my own vegan spin on it.
The recipe is pretty easy to make actually. Most of the 90 minutes is just waste time.
Alright, let's get into this. HELL YAAAA
- 1.5 cups of warm water (microwave 60 seconds)
- 1/2 tbl coconut or brown sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 4 cups + 1/2 cup of organic all-purpose flour
- 3 tbl of safflower oil (sub light olive, sunflower, or walnut)
- 2 tbl of melted vegan butter
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling on top
Beer Cheese Dip
- 12oz of brown lager
- 1 heaping cup golden new potato, diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup onions, diced
- 1/4 cup raw brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup dairy-free unsweetened milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, diced
- 2 tbl apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Spices: 1.5 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp cumin, pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Mixing Spoon . Clean Surface for Kneading . Mixing Bowls . Parchment Paper . Baking Sheet . Food Processor . Small Saucepan . Medium Pot . Serving Ramekin
Before You Cook:
- Wash + cut fresh ingredients
- Once the dough has risen (50 minutes waiting), preheat oven to 450F