Vegan Eggplant Parmesan Hero w/ Cipollini Onions, Truffle Basil Pesto, and Spicy Marinara Sauce
Difficulty: 2/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: ; 45 minutes
The Challenge: Eggplant Parmesan Hero
It's time for another recipe! Have you heard of an eggplany parmesan hero? Its basically a chicken parmesan sandwich, but we replace the chicken with breaded eggplant. We line the bread with vegan cheese, top with spicy marinara sauce, basil pesto, and delicious sauteed cipollini onions. Those are the sweet little mini onions that are delicious on a sandwich.
These sandwiches are so damn good! They are deee-licious. Its a perfect Italian warm sandwich with toasty bread, tangy pesto, spicy sauce, breaded eggplant, and sweet onions. Best thing, its a super easy recipe that you can make in no time!
The thing I love most about this sandwich is the marinara sauce. We cook it down with some chili flakes, garlic, and you cant forget that delicious nutritional yeasr to add some cheesiness to the sauce. Nom!
This recipe makes about 3-4 sandwiches. Make sure to get some very crusty sub bun to take this recipe to the next level.
Let's get into it!
Breaded Eggplant Cutlets
- 1 medium Sicilian eggplant, cut into 8 1/2 inch thick cutlets, 4-5 inches long
- 2 tbl flaxmeal + 5 cups water (2 flax eggs)
- Breading 1: 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- Breading 2: 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp dried basil, pinch or two of pepper
- 1 tbl olive oil
Spicy Marinara Sauce
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb of canned peeled Italian tomatoes
- 2 tbl tomato paste, canned
- Spices: 1 tbl crushed red pepper flakes, 1/3 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 2 tbl nutrtional yeast
Sauteed Cipollini Onions
- 8-10 cipollini onions
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 4oz basil
- 1 tbl truffle oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- pinch of salt + pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbl sunflower seeds
- 1 tbl nutritional yeast
- 3-4 crusty hoagie/sub buns
- 6-8 pieces of vegan cheese (I used Chao cheese)
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Mixing Bowls , Castiron Pan . Frying Pan . Medium Pot . Food Processor
Before You Cook:
- Wash and cut all fresh ingredient
- Make flax egg and set aside