Vegan Tex-Mex Lentil Tempeh Sloppy Joes w/ Homemade Guacamole
Difficulty: 2/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 2/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4-6 sandwiches
The Challenge: Sloppy Joes
Vegan Sloppy Joes. OMG! Vegan Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes with Guacamole. OMGGGGGGG!
We're taking the sloppy joe, veganizing it, and turning it up fifteen notches. Cowabunga. Sloppy joes are probably the least elegant food that exists. Typically, it is made with a simple combination of onions, some ground beef or pork, and some ketchup. It was like the poster child for 90s food. Get as much processed food into one dish as possible!
Today, we want to rebuild this dish from scratch. We start with a base of red lentils + tempeh, mix that with shallots and garlic and charred poblano. We then mix in a sauce of organic ketchup (c'mon we can't change everything) as well as heirloom tomatoes, and a wicked delicious Tex-Mex spice blend. All in all, we get a fab base for our sloppy joe.
We slap that onto an onion roll with crushed tortilla chips, red cabbage, and a delicious chunky homemade guacamole for absolute magic in your mouth!! Stack it between an onion roll and voila...TEXMEX SLOPPY JOE.
Let's get into it!
Vegan Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes
- 8 oz tempeh, diced into cubes
- 1 cup red lentils (or green) + 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Spices: 1 tsp ground mustard, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp coriander, pinch of salt + pepper
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup (up to 3/4 cup depending on taste preference)
- 2 tbl tomato paste
- 1 tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbl adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (orange or yellow preferred)
- 1 cob of corn, dekerneled
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 4 onion rolls (sub with desired bun)
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Castiron Pan or Large Frying Pan . Food Processor . Fork + Spoon
Before You Cook:
- Add lentils + broth to a medium pot and bring to boil, reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Wash + chop fresh ingredients