The Ultimate Vegan Breakfast Burrito w/ Crispy Hash Browns + Vegan Bacon, Turmeric Tofu Scramble, Lime Corn Guac, and Chipotle "Sour Cream"
Difficulty: 3/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
The Challenge: Breakfast Burrito
What could be better than a warm pressed flour tortilla filled to the brim with vegan breakfast goodies. I have always thought breakfast was the hardest meal for vegans, and it has been a focal point of many dishes. Building off my latest recipe, Perfect 20-Minute Vegan Bacon, this dish incorporates that plus a lot more! In the end, we have an absolute masterpiece of deliciousness you'll love.
Fair warning, this recipe is a bit more involved and can take a good chef 40-50 minutes with a novice 50-60. Nothing is hard, but there are a few parts! I like to be honest in my recipes and not mislead you. BUT...BUT...BUT... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRYING IT OUT or even dropping an item or two to cut down on the time.
The star of this breakfast burrito, though, isn't my crispy, smoky vegan bacon. Nope! It is a tofu scramble that is to die for. Tofu scrambles - I've had plenty. Most ... little flavor. Most ... too wet. Most ... use soft tofu (mistake). This recipe uses a couple of key spices as well as firm tofu to create a delightful tofu scramble. One of those is turmeric. Turmeric will do an amazing job of giving this nice flavor of freshness to your scramble!
Additionally, we make bangin' hash browns from scratch, a great simple lime corn + avocado guacamole, and top it all with a creamy dairy-free chipotle sour cream.
Wrap it in a soft flour tortilla, press it on a hot dry pan, and bite into breakfast burrito MAGIC. Homies, get ready, to have the ULTIMATE VEGAN BREAKFAST BURRITO.
Nuff said ... let's get into it!
Crispy Hash Browns
- 4 gold potatoes, medium
- 2 tbl vegan butter + 2 tbl vegan butter
Turmeric Tofu Scramble
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 poblano pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 fresh zucchini, diced
- Spices: 3/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 2 tbl nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 block of organic firm tofu, dried
Lime Corn Guac
- 2 medium avocados, pitted
- 1 corn cob, dekerneled
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Chipotle Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup dairy-free sour cream (or cashew cream)
- 2 tbl adobo sauce from chipotles in adobo sauce + 1 chipotle, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 12 pieces of rice paper bacon
- extra chipotle sour cream for dipping
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Castiron Pan or Medium Frying Pan . Boiling Pot . Large Frying Pan . Mixing Bowls . Fork + Spoon . Grater
Before You Cook:
- Wash + cut fresh ingredients
- Place potatoes in boiling pot, cover with water, and bring to boil