No Way! Vegan Chicken Fried Cauliflower Steak w/ White Savory Gravy
Difficulty: 2/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 steaks
The Challenge: Chicken Fried Steak + Mashed Potatoes
A viewer contacted me to let me know that they wanted to challenge me to make country or chicken-fried steak. Typically, piece of pork that is battered and fried. Yuck! Vegetarian and vegans versions have been done with seitan. But I wanted to challenge myself to think outside the box a little here and find something easier to do!
I have made plenty of cauliflower steaks before. If you haven't, they are delicious. So, I thought...why not bread it, fry it, and make chicken-fried steak CAULIFLOWER STYLE. And my gosh, it worked like a charm...
Actually, a very simple and easy recipe. Simply steam the cauliflower, bread it, and bake it. But let's not stop there! Because you can't have chicken fried steak without a healthy helping of vegan white gravy. Yet, again ... cream, butter, milk...so what to do. We'll tackle that as well.
In the end, I'm left with the heartiest of hearty manliest of manly (lady approved too) vegan meals. From that thick breading coating the tender caulfilower to the salty yummy melt-in-your-mouth gravy, this meal has been one of my favorites so far! Yummmmm!
Well, without further ado.
Let's get into it.
- 1 large cauliflower head, cut into 1/2 inch thick to 1 inch thick, cut end-to-end, should yield 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
Breading (divided into two bowls)
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup organic yellow cornmeal
- Spices: 4 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup soy milk (other unsweetened dairy-free milks work)
- 1 tbl vinegar
- 1 tbl flaxmeal
- 1 tbl cornstarch
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 2 cups soy milk (other unsweetened dairy-free milks work)
- 3 tbl vegan butter
- fresh parsley
- vegan mashed potatoes (for the side)
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Parchment Paper or Silpat . One Large Shallow Bowl . Two Large Plates . Whisk . Large and Small Frying/Castiron Pan
Before You Cook:
- Wash and cut all fresh ingredients
- Bring a pot of water to boil with steamer underneath