Vegan Creole Shrimp + Grits w/ Breaded King Oyster "Shrimp" and Creole Spicy Grits
Difficulty: 3/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
The Challenge: Shrimp + Grits
Shrimp + grits anyone? That's right we just made a delicious dish VEGAN. Shrimp + grits is a delicious Southern dish that we enjoy down here in Hot-lanta. Well, I don't enjoy it because it isn't vegan. Time to change that!
Shrimp + grits is really simple. It is yummy white or yellow corn grits with pan seared shrimp. Well, let's take this up a notch with some delicious creole inspired vegan shrimp and grits. For the shrimp we turn to King Oyster mushrooms. King Oyster are the long wide mushrooms that you can also turn into "Scallops." When you soak them, bread, and then pan fry...they get a very similar texture to shrimp. We bread these in a delicious panko + Old Bay mixture. Old Bay is one of my favorite spices. It is a mixture of celery salt, paprika, and some secrets that make it downright tasty!
For the grits, we veganize them with using dairy-free milk + butter as well as vegetable broth. We blend in a number of creole influenced spices to round out this dish. Excellllllent.
Dump those shrimp on top of the creole grits...vegan magic.
Let's get into it!
- 4 King Oyster mushrooms, cut heads off, slice into shrimp sized bites
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 + 1/2 cup dairy-free milk (prefer rice or soy)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 tbl flaxmeal
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbl garlic powder + onion powder
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbl Old Bay seasoning
- 3 tbl vegan butter
- 1/2 cup yellow corn grits
- 1 + 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 + 1/2 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened (prefer rice or soy)
- Spices: 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp oregano,1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 2 tbl nutritional yeast
- 2 tbl vegan butter
- green onions, diced
- parsley, roughly chopped
- Louisiana hot sauce, optional
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Large Frying Pan . Large Saucepan . Mixing Spoon . Spatula . Mixing Bowls . Plate . Whisk
Before You Cook:
- Wash and cut all fresh ingredients