Bahn Mi Tacos w/ Jackfruit "Pork," Pickled Veggies, and Sriracha Mayo
Difficulty: 3/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 2/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: ; 40 minutes
The Challenge: Bahn Mi Tacos
Bahn mi. You had it? Usually served up in a delicious Vietnamese deli between crusty bun. It is standard usually with pork, pate, pickled veggies, hot sauce, mayo, cilantro, jalapeno, and sesame seeds. Today, I wanted to take this delicious sandwich and convert it into yum as heck tacos.
We start with crispy flour tacos. We used jackfruit as the pork. We cook up jackfruit with delicious spices/sauce that are traditional for how Vietnamese delis cook up the pork with sesame oil, miso to replace fish sauce, garlic, cinnamon, shallots, lemongrass, and liquid aminos for soy sauce. What do you get? Amazingly delicious melt in your mouth jackfruit.
Additionally, we pickle up some veggies - daikon and carrots to make sure we have the perfect combination of cool, crisp veggies with warm jackfruit. Finally, we top with a sriracha mayo, fresh cilantro, fresh jalapenos, and black sesame seeds.
All in all, we create a gorgeous amazing bahn mi taco that will absolutely crush your taste buds and deliver all the wonderful flavors of this Viet classic but in the form of the tacos.
Let's get into it!
- 20oz of canned young jackfruit in brine, drained + washed
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, chopped
- 1 tbl liquid aminos
- 1 tbl sesame oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbl miso
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- Spices: 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, several pinches of salt + pepper, 1/4 tsp
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbl sriracha
- 1 tbl rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup scallions, diced
- 8-inch piece of daikon radish, cut into matchsticks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium poblano pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup rice vinegar (more if needed)
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- 1 tbl sesame oil
Toppings / Other
- 1/2 cucumber, diced into small half moons
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- black sesame seeds, to top the taco
- medium jalapeno, diced
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Large Frying Pan . Pickle Jar / Mason Jar . Whisk . Mixing Bowls
Before You Cook:
- Wash and cut all fresh ingredients (sans the toppings)