Mexico City Vegan Chorizo Dog w/ Fresh Guac, Chipotle Crema, and Tortilla Strips
Difficulty: 3/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 2/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 60-65 minutes
The Challenge: Chorizo Hot Dog
I wanted a new challenge - making my own hot dogs. But then, I went to a restaurant over the holiday break with my family that made all of these uniques version of hot dogs. They had one that was a chorizo dog that was loaded with Mexican ingredients - guacamole, cotija cheese, tortilla strips, chipotle cream, and bacon.
I thought it sounded delicious as a vegan challenge ... so here we are - Mexico City Vegan Chorizo Dog.
The "hot dog," spiced like chorizo is the basis for this dish. It is made from a combination of beans, wheat gluten, spices, and several other elements. These dogs are EN FUEGO my friends. A bit spicy, tasting like chorizo, and the consistency is very similar to a sausage dog. EPIC!
We the lathered on chipotle crema, a specialty guacamole I've spent years perfecting, and crushed tortilla chips. Since this isn't your typical "dog," we served it in a hoagie roll for an absolutely AMAZING dish.
Warning - you will need a steamer to make these dogs. I got one for like $25 to complete this dish and it will come in handy for steaming veggies in the future.
I can't wait to make this again + again + again. Let's get into it.
- 1 tbl of avocado oil (olive works)
- large shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup canned pinto beans, drained + rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 + 3/4 tbl coconut aminos
- 1 tbl tomato paste
- Spices: 3/4 teaspoons smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp ground mustard, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp celery seed, 1/4 tsp smoked sea salt (optional), pinch or two of cinnamo
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup dry rolled oats
- 2 tbl nutritional yeast
- 1 tbl flaxmeal
- 2 tbl of water
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, diced
- handful of cilantro, diced
- 1/4 cup radish, diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup poblano pepper, diced
- 1 corn on cob, kernels cut off
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce + 1 tbl of the adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 4 small hoagie rolls (toasted if preferred)
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Mixing Bowl . Food Processor . Steamer Pot . Aluminum Foil . Medium Frying Pan . Small Mixing Bowls . Ramekin
Before You Cook:
- Wash and cut all fresh ingredients
- Fill water in bottom of steamer pot and bring to boil