Individual Vegan "Chicken" Puff Pastry Pot Pies
Difficulty: 3/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 1/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 pot pies
The Challenge: Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pies are an absolute gem during winter months. Warm, packed full of veggies + hearty broth + typically meats. It is a decadent belly bomb. Well, it sounds like the perfect challenge to veganize and make amazing.
I don't love to use pre-made vegan "meats." I like to make as much as I can from scratch, but in this particular recipe I wanted to give the Beyond Meat chicken strips a try (I'm not being paid or endorsed to try this). I am a curious vegan...that's all. Additionally, making your own puff pastry is like...hella hard...so I bought a store bought one in my freezer section. Doing both of these makes this very doable.
The recipe is actually pretty easy but takes a little bit of labor. First, we cut puff pastry into circles. Cook up our veggies and "chicken." Add in some flour, broth, and fill up ramekins. Cover with puff pastry and shove in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
Piping hot puff pastry pot pies come out ready to be eaten. YUM! This is a very hearty dish and definitely is a filling dish on its own. It isn't my healthiest recipe, but it is way healthier than its counterpart. Take a look at the comparison.
Boy is it worth it. The warm silky pie with a crispy salty crust all in one amazing bite. Heaven.
Let's get into it!
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm frozen)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 2 garlic cloves, mined
- 1/3 cup onion, diced small
- 1/3 cup organic unbleached flour
- Spices: pinch of salt + pepper, 1/3 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/3 tsp creole seasoning, 2 tbl fresh chives, pinch of thyme + oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk (I like flax)
- 2 1/2 cups Beyond Meat chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh corn
- 1/2 cup celery, diced small
- 1/2 cup asparagus spears, diced small
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced small
Equipment You'll Need:
Cutting Board . Sharp Cutting Knife . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Ramekins . Floured Surface . Mixing Spoon, Castiron Pan
Before You Cook:
- Wash and cut all fresh ingredients
- Preheat oven to 375F