Gluten-Free Zucchini, Leek, and Carrot Fritters w/ Tangy Tahini Aioli
Difficulty: 2/5 (5 being hardest)
Spice Level: 2/3 (3 being spiciest)
Prep & Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 10 puppies
The Challenge: Healthy, Vegan Hushpuppies
Fritters are like mini burgers for vegans. Veggies, some type of flour, panfried...yum. They are actually fairly difficult to get right though. Why? They stick to the pan. They don't come together easily when you try to mold them, and they don't have enough flavor.
I've been working on fritters for years and found some important secrets to success:
1. Drain the Water - If your vegetable mixture is too wet, it will stick to the pan and make it very hard to cook through. How do we combat that? Blend them in food processor, sprinkle with table salt, sit for 10 minutes, and squeeze out liquid in a thin cloth or with your hands. You'll be amazed how much liquid comes out.
2. Chia Eggs - Eggs are crucial to getting these mixtures together, right? ERRRRR. Chia eggs are perfect. Better for you and actually work better. If you soak flax meal or chia seeds/meal for 5-10 minutes in water for 10 minutes, it will make a consistency exactly the same as egg whites.
3. Flours - I try to avoid white flour if I can. I have a small intolerance to gluten, and I actually like the flavor of other flours better. Oat flour, tapioca flours, and other non-gluten flours are a must. Don't use too much, though. You don't want it to overwhelm.
For these fritters, we are going to use a combination of zucchini, leeks, and carrots. I love the flavors together as we get some nice base from the zuke, sweetness and earthiness from carrots, and some snap from the leeks. Additionally, we are going to pair them with a tangy aioli. Let me tell you the flavors will explode in your mouth like fireworks.
Amazing appetizer to bring to a party. Great way to start a meal or just an awesome snack to have around the house. These rule! The last person I fed these to ate them all before I even sat down.
Let's get to it!!!
- 2 large zucchini, roughly diced
- 5 medium carrots, roughly diced
- 1 large leek, roughly diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 chia eggs + 6 tbl water
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp Old Bay
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground bay leaves
- 2 tbl olive oil
Tangy Tahini Aioli
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbl tahini
- 1.5 tbl lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay
- 1 tbl warm water
Equipment You'll Need:
Medium Mixing Bowl . Cutting Board . Medium Slicing Knife . Mixing Spoon . Measuring Cups . Measuring Spoons . Small Bowl . Whisk . Food Processor . Thin Cloth . Large Frying Pan . Colander
Before You Cook:
- Chop fresh ingredients